Sunday, February 28, 2010

using my powers for good

Well, I don't know about the tail end of 2009, but I haven't been blogging since January in large part because my life was eaten up be rehearsals; I was in a community theater musical, and it was such fun! It was Cole Porter's Kiss Me, Kate which, as you may well know, is a musical about a bunch of actors putting on a musical rendition of Shakespeare's Taming of the Shrew.

My partner R. convinced me to audition with her, and I'm so glad she did...I was nervous about my vocal shortcomings, but community theater is very forgiving, and with great musical direction and plenty of encouragement, I managed to overcome my doubts and sing my little solo with some distinction.

It was a novel experience for me, whose most recent prior theater adventure was in middle school. I had a some nerve-wracking moments when the costumers announced that they were renting Shakespearean costumes for us. I had visions of snug tights, a la the old MGM movie version. I spent some time fretting about what I would do if it turned out we WERE wearing tights. I could always dig up some sort of packer with which to pad my underpants, but I don't even know if I have one anymore. I don't feel the need to wear one on a regular basis, and am not used to doing so; with all the tap-dancing in the show, I was a bit worried about the logistics of even trying. I felt a bit trapped. I've pretty much made peace with my smaller-than-average package, but I am not particularly eager to showcase said tiny package on stage!

Fortunately, we ended up with sort of flow-y pants, and the issue of tights was skipped, but I had more than one angsty conversation with R. about it. Here you can see the end result: me all dressed up in my Shakespearean finery, playing the part of Hortensio, one of the 3 suitors.
Lack of sizeable bulge: unnoticeable!

Anyway, the truly interesting part of the whole experience came when the local paper did a small write-up about the show, and I was interviewed by the reporter. She asked me about the show, and I talked some about what a terribly sexist show it is. The music is fabulous, but the underlying premise of Shrew and thus of KMK is how "uppity" women need to learn their places and stop being so feisty and independent and just hurry up and get married already.

R. and I had talked about this throughout rehearsals, and she prompted me to mention it to the reporter, and I'm glad I did- there was a nice little quote in the paper about hoping that audiences would enjoy the songs but think critically about the message.

I think it's really important for feminist analysis to be done visibly and publicly by men, and it's something I'm really committed to as part of my manhood. Feminism is not just a women's issue, and while it's frustrating that I sometimes get taken more seriously about important issues now that I'm manifestly masculine, on this matter, I relish my role as an ally. The more that people hear men speaking about issues of gender equality, hopefully, the more we can get away from the identity politics that shoehorns sexism into being something for only women to deal with.

It's a right and a responsibility that comes with the male privilege now, and I try to live up to it as best I can.

39 comments:

Michelle said...

You look so handsome and self assured. Well done!

Raene and River said...

Hi Eli...It's Leah from SRC. The other day I was image googling a transgender term and came across a picture of you, which led to your blog.

Totally random to see you as I wasn't googling for someone I knew...fate? Lol.

Is it cool if I read your blog? I thought about it and thought it might be too personal, but then again, I thought you probably would have it private if you felt that way.

My husband's trans and has been going by male pronouns for years, but is just now interested in starting T. I'd love to read your blog since we have so many unanswered questions.

If you don't want me to, that's fine and I'll of course respect that.

Either way, hi there and hope you're doing well!

Eli said...

Hey Leah! Nice to hear from you. You are more than welcome to read this blog; that's why it's out here. feel free to track me down on facebook or some such, to, if you'd like to chat. Best of luck to your husband making his decisions! Hope all's well.

p.s out of curiosity, where is there a picture of me on the internet that led you here?

龐克搖滾 said...

來塊巧克力吧~~心情會好哦~~ ........................................

慧君 said...

性自拍貼圖臺灣自拍網臺灣自拍貼圖網做愛自拍照免費線上自拍影片免費線上貼片區免費線上貼圖免費線上愛影片免費線上影片a片免費線上影片網免費線上影片論壇免費觀看卡通色情片免費觀看台灣片交流網吻技完全免費成人網宏耶宏椰的家宏爺宏爺網站宏爺影城我78我愛78免費我愛78論談我愛87論壇我愛論壇找妹做愛即時通辣妹利特利的遊戲免費觀看成人卡通影片色咪咪影片網一夜情聊天室情色小說情色貼圖

欣盈 said...

I do like ur article~!!!..................................................

水憲妤慧 said...

良言一句三冬暖,惡語傷人六月寒。......................................................

為珮 said...

笑話精華~輕鬆一下~
孫悟空為什麼能大鬧天宮,而打不過諸多妖精?
哭笑不得的十二件事
浪漫一點行不行
校園尷尬事件大全(爆笑)
校園寢室騷擾電話

Phuong said...

how do u do?................................................................

Ko212ryS_Dahle0 said...

hello~welcome my world~<. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

WilmerD_Sho玉鳳 said...

Efforts to fight fuel!........................................................

LorenE_Mese鈺雯 said...

善言能贏得聽眾,善聽才能贏得朋友。 ............................................................

廖淑凡 said...

真是太猛了,請受小弟一拜Orz(>O<)..................................................

瓊文TamMcfee0520 said...

自然是上帝的藝術。 ............................................................

胤珠胤珠 said...

你不能改變容貌~~但你可以展現笑容................................................................

靖福 said...

真是太有道理了~~我支持你~~~.................................................................

RheaTurnbull雯俊 said...

欣賞是一種美德~回應是最大的支持^^....................................................................

宏泰羅 said...

死亡是悲哀的,但活得不快樂更悲哀。.................................................................

秋娥秋娥 said...

成熟,就是有能力適應生活中的模糊。.................................................................

吳婷婷 said...

人有兩眼一舌,是為了觀察倍於說話的緣故。............................................................

鄭湘定 said...

當一個人內心能容納兩樣相互衝突的東西,這個人便開始變得有價值了。............................................................

吳婷婷 said...

A crowd is not company...................................................................

佳皓佳皓 said...

文章是心情的反應~~祝妳天天寫的都是讓人開心的好文章哦!!............................................................

楊儀卉 said...

一句話,那就是,"船到橋頭自然直."............................................................

潘凱花潘凱花 said...

far from eye, far from heart...................................................

洪瑋婷洪瑋婷 said...

廢話不多,祝你順心~^^............................................................

琬安琬安 said...

你的部落格不錯哦,我來享受一下~~............................................................

劉士賢 said...

海鷗要高飛,必先遠退。花蜜要香醇,必先久釀。............................................................

邱允成邱允成 said...

Learning makes life sweet.

文旺江汝 said...

快樂,是享受工作過程的結果..................................................

文王廷 said...

期待新的內容 感謝你.................................[/url]...............

高黃吉軍向婷 said...

責人之心責己,恕己之心恕人。............................................................

家唐銘 said...

如果你批評他人。你就沒有時間付出愛......................................................................

偉曹琬 said...

河水永遠是相同的,可是每一剎那又都是新的。............................................................

思韓韓韓穎 said...

愛,拆開來是心和受兩個字。用心去接受對方的一切,用心去愛對方的所有。......................................................................

翊翊翊翊張瑜翊翊翊 said...

你怎麼能經過一片海,而忘記它的藍?......................................................................

孫邦柔 said...

累死了…來去看看文章轉換心情~............................................................

孫邦柔 said...

所有的資產,在不被諒解時,都成了負債.................................................................

志涛 said...

愛看您的新文章!加油!